Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Home, Sweet Home

HOME, SWEET HOME

by: John Howard Payne (1791-1852)

'Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,

Be it ever so humble there's no place like home!

A charm from the skies seems to hallow us there,

Which, seek through the world, is ne'er met with elsewhere.

Home! Home! Sweet, sweet home!

There's no place like home!

There's no place like home!

An exile from home splendor dazzles in vain;

Oh, give me my lowly thatch'd cottage again!

The birds singing gaily that came at my call;

Give me them with the peace of mind clearer than all.

Home! Home! Sweet, sweet home!

There's no place like home!

There's no place like home!


What is it about your home that draws your heart in and holds it there so lovingly that nothing and no one can pull you away for too long?

5 comments:

Cheryl Wright said...

My "home sweet home" is as simple as they come. Little by little I am creating a Spanish style exterior to match the Spanish country style that's emerging on the inside.

These are some of the features of my "home sweet home" where my heart lives.

- The east-facing eat-in kitchen, living room and porch. That is what sold me on the house in the first place. The easterly and north-easterly winds keep these main rooms, the hub of our daily life, cool and comfortable..

- It is slightly elevated from the street giving a sense of a house on a hill - a feature I miss from my childhood.

- My home is located in a relatively small (100 homes) residential development, away from the main road with its vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

- My front porch is where I enjoy my personal quiet time for reflection, reading and writing. It is my personal sanctuary, hidden from passersby and neighbors by five large terracotta-colored plastic pots with large ficus plants.

- To give me the cozy country kitchen I always dreamed of, my husband installed tiled counter-top and back-splash and a wood ceiling in a basket-weave pattern to mirror my love of baskets. I especially love the space he created above the upper cabinets to house my precious teapot collection.

syiling peringatan malaysia said...

From Malaysia ...visitt your blog, visit my blog..i'm memorabilia collector

http://syilingperingatan.blogspot.com/

Cheryl Wright said...

Hi syiling peringatan malaysia

Great stuff you have there on your blog. You have a keen eye classic memorabilia.

Nina said...

My home is a ranch with kind of a country cabin theme. We love the mountains and that's the feel of it. The back yard faces west so there are many sun sets to watch. Eveyones back yoards connect and there are about 14 acres of woods so we have quite a bit of wild life, deer and their fawns are my favorite this time of year. rabbits, fox, and even wild turkeys... a little piece of heaven right here. Love and Light, nina P.

Cheryl Wright said...

Nina P: What a lovely, cozy home and glorious surrounds to call home. Sounds more like a big chunk of heaven to me.