Friday, June 19, 2009

New look - Old style

This new background from Aqua Poppy Designs suits my decorating style as I described it in a February 25th post. Read the full entry here.

Never one to follow the crowd, my home shouts that loud and clear. I can appreciate all the new and trendy design ideas I see on HGTV, in magazines and at the mall, but my heart belongs to a country/cottage style.


Nothing makes my heart sing like the look of a country cottage complete with wood, wrought iron, rattan, beautiful natural fabrics and lots of baskets.

My growing collection of teapots is evident as they sit on top of my kitchen cabinets. My fascination with aprons amuses my friends. They hang from picture hooks attached to a door. Baskets, another staple, serve decorative and functional purposes in every room.

My favorite colors, green, terracotta, mustard, orange, red and rust, punctuate rather than dominate my home’s décor. My home is certainly not dressed to impress, but to provide a soothing, tranquil and relaxed atmosphere for my lifestyle, to encourage quiet time, reflection, and intimate conversation, and to inspire creativity.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a blog after my own heart, as "home" is one of my favorite words in the English language. I am currently working with my husband on renovating a Frank Lloyd Wright home from the 1950s -- which has been a totally different experience from working on the old 1920s Tudor we've lived in for nearly 20 years. Making a home our own is one of life's greatest pleasures, isn't it?

Cheryl Wright said...

Hello Cindy,

Oooh, Frank Lloyd Wright is my all-time favorite architect.

In my former life as an interior design consultant, my favorite projects were those where I had the pleasure of helping a client convert a townhouse to reflect their individual style in the mass of sameness.

No longer active in the field, I still get excited at seeing a homeowner's style shine through in mass-produced single homes in a gated residential development.

I appreciate your visit and hearing about your project. I hope you're taking before and after photos of your renovation.